FROM GROCERY TO FARM GOODS
In 1885, Myron Gilbert Newell opened his first business in Greensboro, NC: The South Side Grocery Store. As a local business, the store was very successful selling meats, dry goods, and notions but Newell wanted to cater more to the farmers.
In 1892, Myron Newell opened a new location based on more specialty goods called, M.G. Newell and Company. This store began selling vehicles, bikes, harnesses, hand churns, pails, and a line of “cow remedies” in an effort to support the agricultural community.